APIs May Not Be

APIs May Not Be Enough for SaaS Data Collection for eDiscovery: eDiscovery Best Practices

Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) are great for connecting…apps (duh!). But, as this article from Jim Gill of Hanzo discusses, APIs may not be enough for SaaS data collection for eDiscovery.

In his article When it Comes to Collecting SaaS Data for Ediscovery, APIs May Not Be Enough, Jim discusses how Software as a Service (SaaS) applications (a.k.a., “cloud apps” to many of you out there) have experienced phenomenal growth over the past few years, and this trend is continuing. One source states that at the end of 2021, 99% of organizations were using one or more SaaS solutions. Makes me wonder what the heck the other 1% are doing!

Regardless, with the growth of SaaS applications, many legal and compliance teams, as well as the software and service providers that support them, have mostly relied on APIs to preserve and gain access to the data held within enterprise SaaS systems. And APIs are a useful way of connecting with data sources, but with the rapid pace of new SaaS applications being adopted at the enterprise level (including tools for project management, human resources and payroll, ticketing, customer relationship management, and communication) APIs may not be enough to keep from putting ediscovery and compliance at risk in organizations.


So, what is Dynamic Capture Technology and how can it help? And how can you explore more about defensible SaaS data capture? (with a downloadable guide, that’s how). You’ll have to read his blog post here to find out about it! It’s just one more click! APIs may not be enough but learning about other options may get you there!

So, what do you think? Do you rely solely on APIs to connect to your SaaS (er, “cloud”) solutions? Please share any comments you might have or if you’d like to know more about a particular topic.

Disclosure: Hanzo is an Educational Partner and sponsor of eDiscovery Today

Disclaimer: The views represented herein are exclusively the views of the author, and do not necessarily represent the views held by my employer, my partners or my clients. eDiscovery Today is made available solely for educational purposes to provide general information about general eDiscovery principles and not to provide specific legal advice applicable to any particular circumstance. eDiscovery Today should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a lawyer you have retained and who has agreed to represent you.

Leave a Reply