Today, the International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) is releasing the full ILTA 2023 Technology Survey Results. Here are a few highlights.
It’s a big report once again at 323 total pages, with a 14-page Executive Summary, but slimmed down a bit from last year’s 362 and 17 pages respectively.
This year’s survey reports the input of 532 ILTA member firms representing about 155,452 attorneys and approximately 310,995 total users. As you can imagine with a 323-page report, there are several sections to the survey, including:
- Computer Hardware & Operating Systems
- Office Application Software
- Document Management System (DMS)/Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
- Emerging Technologies
- Practice Management
- Business Applications
- Collaboration & Communication
Notably, one new section was added this year: Emerging Technologies, which consisted of seven questions related to generative AI and four questions related to the Metaverse and Web 3.0. Two sections from last year were removed: Mobile Device Use & Business Continuity.
For each section of the ILTA 2023 Technology Survey Results, there are multiple questions for which there are responses being tracked. For example, the Infrastructure section has 20 questions. For each question, there’s a graph of results followed by a table with a breakdown (typically) of responses by firm size.
For example, within the Emerging Technologies section, one of the questions asked was:
“Which generative AI tools is your firm using?”
The survey results then show the graph with results:
Followed by the table with the breakdown of responses by firm size:
Here are five notable teaser results from an eDiscovery, cyber and generative AI standpoint:
- Only 2% of firms conducts a skills assessment of eDiscovery skills or capabilities.
- 53% of firms said eDiscovery and litigation document review were either currently located in the cloud or are being migrated to the cloud within the next 12 months (up from 50% last year and 41% in 2020).
- 97%(!) of firms uses multi-factor authentication, up from 85% in 2020. Security awareness training is up from 84% to 92% over that same time period!
- 85%(!) of firms said they are using generative AI tools (ChatGPT, Dall-E, Harvey, etc.) for business tasks.
- However, in response to a different question, only 1% said they are actively using a Generative AI tool in practice (Harvey, ChatGPT, Google Bard, etc.). Hmmm, not sure how both can be true?
The ILTA 2023 Technology Survey Results will be available here, starting at 9am CT. It’s FREE…if: 1) you belong to one of the member firms who participated in the survey, 2) you are a 2023 ILTA Corporate member, or 3) you are a paid 2023 ILTA365, Silver, Gold, Platinum and ILTAMAX sponsor. For everyone else, it’s available for purchase for $500 for ILTA Members and $800 for non-ILTA members.
So, what do you think? Are you looking forward to checking out the ILTA 2023 Technology Survey Results? Please share any comments you might have or if you’d like to know more about a particular topic.
All graphs Copyright © International Legal Technology Association
Disclaimer: The views represented herein are exclusively the views of the author, and do not necessarily represent the views held by my employer, my partners or my clients. eDiscovery Today is made available solely for educational purposes to provide general information about general eDiscovery principles and not to provide specific legal advice applicable to any particular circumstance. eDiscovery Today should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a lawyer you have retained and who has agreed to represent you.