One of my favorite things to cover every year is the Internet Minute infographic that is published by AllAccess.com and Lori Lewis. It’s a little later than normal, but here is the 2021 Internet Minute infographic!
The updated graphic shown above illustrates what happens within the internet in a typical minute in 2021. As always, there are a couple of different categories tracked in this graphic than last year’s, but most are the same and those that are carried forward are, once again, (almost) all up compared to last year – some more than others. For example:
- iPhone texts per minute are up from 19 million every minute to 21.1 million;
- Online purchases each minute have risen from $1.1 million to $1.6 million;
- Messages through Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp per minute have risen from 59 million to 69 million;
- Tinder swipes per minute have jumped from 1.6 million to 2 million;
- Emails sent per minute has risen from 190 million to 197.6 million;
- Snaps created on Snapchat per minute have risen from 2.5 million to 3.4 million (oh, snap!);
- Views on Twitch per minute have risen from 1.2 million to 2 million;
- And the biggest jump was from Tiktok – from 1,400 downloads per minute to 5,000 (over 3.5 times as much)!
Needless to say, the pandemic may have influenced some of these rises in internet usage as many people had more time on their hands (and less entertainment options with shows and movie cinemas closed). Here’s the 2020 Internet Minute infographic and the 2021 Internet Minute infographic side by side so that you can see the comparisons.
Obviously, this means more and more potential sources of data that could be responsive in discovery! Time to update those workflows!
This is my sixth year to cover the internet minute infographic (first on eDiscovery Today). As always, I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the numbers, so take them for what it’s worth. So, why is this one of my favorite things to cover each year? Because a picture is worth a thousand words! I think I’ll take Monday off! Just kidding… 😉
Just a reminder that we need your help! If you are a corporate legal professional, please consider taking the first ever IPRO/eDiscovery Today Corporate Legal Snapshot Survey! It has 11 questions and literally takes a minute! Link to the survey is here, webinar and report on the results coming in June!
So, what do you think? How have the challenges of various sources of data affected your organization? Please share any comments you might have or if you’d like to know more about a particular topic.
Disclaimer: The views represented herein are exclusively the views of the author, and do not necessarily represent the views held by my employer, my partners or my clients. eDiscovery Today is made available solely for educational purposes to provide general information about general eDiscovery principles and not to provide specific legal advice applicable to any particular circumstance. eDiscovery Today should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a lawyer you have retained and who has agreed to represent you.